Children born during the K1 Fiance or CR1 Marriage Visa application process

Many of my clients who travel overseas to spend time with their fiancés or spouses while waiting on a K1 Fiance or CR1 Marriage Visa, become fathers. After all of the excitement, the question becomes…….What do I need to do so my child can travel to the US with my fiancé or spouse?

The child of a US citizen born overseas only needs a US Passport to travel to the US. To obtain a US passport for the child, the couple must first file a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) with the nearest US Embassy and follow all the required instructions.

Its best to contact the US Embassy nearest to where the foreign fiancé or spouse is living to determine what forms and documents they require. You will also be given instructions as to how you should submit your documents and schedule your Embassy appointment.

In most cases, you will need to submit the following items:

  • 2 Passport Style Photos for the mother, father and baby.
  • CRBA Form DS-2029
  • US Passport Application DS-11
  • Statement of Consent form DS-3053
  • Birth Certificate of Child
  • Evidence of Parents US Citizenship
  • Passport or identification for non-US Citizen parent
  • Marriage Certificate

If you have any questions about obtaining a US Passport for the child of a US citizen while waiting for a K1 Fiancé or CR1 Marriage Visa, please give me a call toll free at 1-888-515-3529. Your questions are always welcome.
Attorney Jeff Pettys

Contact Information