Recently we received some good news from the US Embassy in Manila, Philippines. They are processing K1 Fiance Visas!
Its not back to normal yet, but cases are being processed and happy couples are getting their visas. As best as I can tell at this time, the Embassy is prioritizing interviews based on the following criteria:
- K1/K2 cases where the K2 child will age out (turn 21 years of age) before December 31, 2021.
- K2 cases where the child who is a follow to join who will age out (turn 21 years of age) before December 31, 2021.
- K2 cases where the child who is a follow to join will lose follow to join eligibility (normally one year, but now one year plus 180 days) from the time the K1 visa was issued.
- K1 applicants who are waiting to travel to the US with their US citizen child.
- Petitioner is an active duty military member with Pending Deployment Orders, Pending Permanent Change of Station Orders or other logistical issues and/or considerations.
- Petitioner with documented medical issues who cannot travel back to the US without the assistance of their K1 Fiance
I have also been advised that if your case shows “expired” on the Consular Electronic Application Center and you haven’t had your interview, contact the Embassy by email at email@example.com. Let them know that you still wish to pursue your case and provide an explanation as to why you didn’t take action and the Embassy staff will take corrective action to reopen the case.
The resumption of visa services is done on a post by post basis depending on local health conditions. As conditions improve, so will the visa processing services. Stay patient, keep up on current changes and keep a record of any follow up trips and communications with your fiance. When the time comes, it will be important to show the Embassy that you have stayed in touch with one another and are still in love and wish to get married.
If you have any questions and would like to speak with me about your interest in a K1 Fiance Visa, please feel free to call me at 1-888-515-3529. You are always welcome to call me.
Attorney Jeffrey C Pettys