Affidavit of Support for the Fiance Visa

The petitioner for a Fiance Visa must show that he or she has sufficient income or financial resources to assure that the fiance you are sponsoring will not become a public charge while in the United States. To meet this requirement, you must file form I-134 Affidavit of Support and submit various documents proving your income and financial resources.

Form I -134 provides a list of the required documents, but my experience has shown me that the following items must be submitted for a smooth approval:

The Petitioners most recent tax return and W2. Although not specifically stated, it seems as though most US Embassies or Consulates require the latest tax year’s tax returns. In some cases, the Embassy may accept a previous year’s tax return with an approved extension, but this isn’t ideal. I have seen a recent trend whereby the processing Embassies are requiring the most current tax return and W2. If you are paid as an independent contract, you will need to submit a 1099 form in place of the W2. If you are self employed, and are required to submit a schedule C, you should submit schedule C with your tax return.

You should also submit a letter from your employer stating when you were hired, your rate of compensation, and your job title. You should also have the letter state whether your position is temporary or permanent.

Next, you need to submit a letter from your bank stating what type of accounts you have, the date these accounts were opened, the total amount deposited over the year and your current balances. In lieu of a bank letter, most Embassies will accept copies of your bank statements.

For all other assets or financial resources, its always a good idea to show some form of proof of ownership.

If you have any questions about the financial requirements of a Fiance Visa, please feel free to call me anytime at 1-888-515-3529. I am always happy to answer questions.

Jeff Pettys

Contact Information