Recently, USCIS made changes to the forms and procedures for filing an application for a CR1 Marriage Visa.
First, USCIS updated the I-130 form and it now requires far more information than the older version.  The form itself grew from 2 pages to 12. For example, the new form now requires the month/day/year for all residential and employment dates, not just the month and year.
Another significant change to the I-130 form and process can be found in the instructions to the new form under the title “Biometric Services Appointment. This new section allows USCIS, at their discretion, to require petitioners to appear for fingerprinting, interviews, photographs and criminal background checks by the FBI.  At this time, it is unclear as to when and if such additional steps will be required of the Petitioner. Rather, it appears that after filing the new I-130 form, USCIS will advise the petitioner if any additional steps must be taken.

Continue reading →

Many people have taken to various forms of social media to share pictures and provide information about themselves. In some cases, its used to communicate directly with another person. Unlike emails and phone calls, a record of your communications are not so easily deleted or managed for privacy.  Its important to keep this in mind when you apply for a K1 Fiance Visa or a CR1 Marriage Visa. Your pictures and statements reflect information about who you are and what you are up to.
Imagine filing for a Fiance Visa and stating that you are in love with your fiancé and yet having current pictures of a another boyfriend or girlfriend at home or pictures which strongly suggest a romantic relationship with someone else. Such information will likely be seen by USCIS or the US Embassy and in such a case could seriously compromise your credibility. If USCIS or the US Embassy does not believe you, you will not get your visa.

Continue reading →

Applying for a K1 Fiance Visa starts with the filing of form I-129f Petition for Alien fiancé(e).
Starting June 9, 2017, USCIS will only accept the 04/10/17 edition of the I-129f form. This new form is more extensive than the older version and requires more background information on the Petitioner and beneficiary. Failure to file the correct version of the I-129f form will lead to a rejection of your application by USCIS.
To better understand the new question, I recommend you review the instructions for this form. the instructions, as well as the new form can be found by going online at

US Immigration provides visas for the children of an approved fiancé when requested. These visas are known as K2 Visas. K2 visas are “derivative visas” to the K1 Fiance Visa. In plain English, visas for the children of an approved fiancé (who are not US Citizens) will automatically be issued when the K1 Fiance visa is issued for the fiancé/parent. Children who are US Citizens by birth or blood, only need a US passport.
To apply for a K2 visa, all children who need a visa to travel to the US must be listed on the Fiance’s I-129f Petition for Alien Fiance. Listing the children on the Fiancé’s I-129f form lets the Embassy know that the listed children of the fiance will be coming over with the fiancé or following shortly thereafter.
Once the initial petition is approved for the fiancé by USCIS, it will be necessary to submit a separate DS 160 form for each child who needs a visa in order to travel to the US with the Fiance.

Effective January 27, 2017, a Trump Administration Executive Order suspended the issuance of all visas to nationals from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. This suspension includes K1 Fiance visas and CR1 Marriage visas for fiances and spouses who are nationals of these countries. At this time, it appears that the suspension is temporary until new safeguards can be implemented to make the vetting process more stringent for people wishing to come to the US from these countries. I am hopeful that new vetting procedures can be implemented within 90-120 days. This temporary suspension is intended to help protect all Americans from terrorism.

Continue reading →

After obtaining your K1 Fiance Visa approval from USCIS, you will need to work with the US Embassy in Manila to obtain your Fiance Visa. The US Embassy in Manila provides excellent written instructions in both Tagalog and English that you should follow to obtain your visa. You can print a copy of the instructions by going to the following link:
I recommend that you print off a copy of the instructions and then “check off” each instruction or required document as you proceed through the instructions. The instructions will provide you with a list of all requirements and documents needed to obtain your Fiance Visa. It will also provide you with the correct information to schedule your Medical Exam and Fiance Visa interview.

Every Petitioner applying for a K1 Fiance visa must demonstrated that he or she earns at least 125% above the poverty guidelines for whatever size family they will become.
For a salaried employee, this requirement is generally met by providing a letter of employment which states what the petitioners job title and annual income is, copies of past pay stubs and a copy of their most recent Fed Tax return and W2.
For someone who is self employed, proving their true income can be more challenging. From my experience, and for good reason, self employed petitioners deduct as many expenses as they can to reduce their taxable income. This aggressive approcah to reduce taxable income can weaken a petionners standing with Immigration. For this reason, self employed petitioners should be careful not to reduce their income below the required level for Immigration purposes. Also, when their are non cash expenses such as losses carried forward and depreciation, it becomes important to point this out to Immigration. I recommend having your account prepare a letter explaining any such expenses to show a more accurate and hopefully higher level of true income. I further recommend that you prepare a letter on your company letterhead explaining what your responsibilities are within your company and what you pay yourself annually. This letter should be supported by deposits, pay stubs and of course your Federal Tax return. In lieu of a W2, you can provide a 1099.

You can schedule your K1 Fiance Visa interview at the US Embassy in Manila, Philippines by simply calling the Manila Visa Information and Appointment Service Center at  (632) 976-8500, (632) 976-8501 or (632) 976-8502. Callers in the US can call the center at (703) 520-2235. You can also schedule your interview appointment online at:
To schedule an interview appointment, you will need to have your :
  • Case Number,

The K1 Fiance Visa interview is the last step in the K1 Fiance Visa application process. At the K1 Fiance Visa interview, the US Embassy Official will make a determination as to eligibility of the intended Beneficiary as well as the legitimacy of the relationship.
A review of the Fiance’s medical history and criminal history will be reviewed.  Assuming all is fine, the examination will then focus on the relationship. The US Embassy Offical will inquire as the to the foreign fiance’s knowledge of the US Citizens family, children, past marriages, education, employment, and interests. The Hearing Officer will also try and judge the foreign fiancés true interest getting married to the US Citizen. The interview normally last between 15-30 minutes.
If the relationship is genuine, then there should be no problems at all in passing the interview. You don’t have to be perfect, but you do need to be knowledgeable about your futures spouses personal history. And, always tell the truth.
Contact Information