K1 Fiance Visa, Do It Yourself (DIY)

If you plan to prepare and submit your own K1 Fiance Visa application without the help of an experienced professional, you will need to start by identifying which forms to use. You can find a copy of the forms that you will need along with their instructions at www.uscis.gov. Once on the web site, click the tab for forms and look for:
  • I-129f Petition for Alien Fiance(e)
  • G-325A Biographic Information (one for each person)
I suggest that you download the forms and their instructions and read the instructions carefully. Take your time and if you are unsure of a question, stop and read your instructions again. Its important to get it right!

Once your forms have been submitted along with all your required documents, you will have to wait for your USCIS approval. This takes about 4-5 months. Next, you will start working with the US Embassy nearest to where your fiancé is living overseas. You will be required to submit additional forms and documents with the US Embassy. The US Embassy will provide you with their instructions and requirements and you must follow them correctly. Every Embassy has slightly different procedures for processing their visa requests, but you will likely have to submit a DS 160 form and an I -134 Affidavit of Support. You will need to go to www.ceac.gov to find and submit the DS 160 form online and back to www.uscis.gov for the I-134 Affidavit of Support.

Again, take your time. If you make a mistake, it will cause a delay in the approval process or it could result in a denial of your visa request.

You are welcome to call me toll free at 1-888-515-3529 if you have questions about the K1 Fiance Visa process or you change your mind and wish to hire someone to help. Based on my experience, I think its best to hire a professional to do the work for you. But, if you truly wish to do it yourself (DIY), I wish you well.
Attorney Jeff Pettys
Contact Information