Using a Co-Sponsor for a k1 Fiance Visa

Can I use a Co-Sponsor for a K1 Fiance Visa?

 The simple answers is yes. You can use a co-sponsor if the Petitioner of the Fiance Visa cannot meet the income requirements as required. However, keep in mind that each US consulate or Embassy has some say in the matter. Some US consulates and Embassies don’t fully embrace the use of Co-Sponsors for Fiance Visas, but it is allowed. To be considered, the co-sponsor must meet the income requirements for himself/herself, his or her family, the Fiance Visa Petitioner plus the foreign fiance and any children that he or she intends to bring to the US.

The Petitioner must still file his or her I-134 Affidavit of Support and the required documentation along with the same forms and documents for the co-sponsor.

 Generally, the financial documentation required to show your ability to support a K1 Fiance Visa are:

  •         1-3 years of tax returns, and w2’s
  • ·         Letter of Employment
  • ·         Bank statements showing account balances
  • ·         Other credible financial statements showing personal assets

Using a co-sponsor for a fiance visa can become tricky. You are welcome to call me anytime at 1-888-515-3529 to discuss you immigration matter.

 Attorney Jeff Pettys


Contact Information