What is a Fiance Visa?

A Fiance Visa, sometimes called a K1 Visa, is the type of visa that you need if you have a girlfriend or boyfriend living in a foreign country and you wish for them come to the US so you can get married. This visa requires you to have met one time in person within a 2 year period of time, preceding the filing of your paperwork. You must also show that you (the US Citizen) earns 125% above the US Federal Poverty line to qualify. If you don’t meet the income requirement, you may be able to still apply with the help of a co-sponsor. Getting a fiance visa takes about 8-9 months from start to finish and then once your fiance is in the United States, you have 90 days to get married. Once married, you will then need to apply for your spouse’s Legal Permanent Residency or Green Card as it is often referred to. If you have any questions about the K1 Fiance Visa, please feel free to call me anytime. I can be reached toll free at 1-888-515-3529.

Attorney Jeff Pettys

Contact Information