K1 Fiance Visa, A Quick Tip For The Self Employed

Every Petitioner for a K1 Fiance Visa must file an I-134 Affidavit of Support form along with a copy of their most recent tax return, W2 or 1099, bank statements, a few pay stubs, a letter of employment as well as any other relevant supporting financial documents. For those that are self employed, the tax returns can become problematic. As a self employed person, you should take every deduction you can lawfully take to reduce your taxable income. The goal is to show as little taxable income as you can to avoid having to pay extra taxes. However, if you take to many deductions to the point that your Adjusted Gross Income falls below the required level of support required by USCIS, you can unintentionally fail to show that you meet the income requirements of a Petitioner.¬† Don’t expect¬† your Embassy personnel to be tax experts and able to piece together your income from the various schedules and pages of your tax return. They will likely look at the amount reported as your Adjusted Gross Income and if that number fails to meet the income requirement, and you have not provided other evidence to show that you have significant assets, your K1 Fiance Visa application could get denied.

If you have any questions about the K1 Fiance Visa or would like to discuss your immigration matter, you are welcome to call me anytime. You can reach me toll free at 1-888-515-3529.

Jeff Pettys


Contact Information